Types of Low Testosterone treatments
Other natural ways to help increase testosterone level include:
There are two broad ways of treating low testosterone levels which are either medical or natural.
- Medical ways of treating low testosterone: there are a number of ways of treating low testosterone medically and they include;
- Transdermal patch: a transdermal patch is a medicated adhesive patch attached to the skin from where certain medications are transferred to the bloodstream. This method involves the attachment of a patch on the upper arm of the patient from where testosterone is transferred directly into the patient’s blood stream. This method has the disadvantage of causing skin irritation and other skin diseases. This type of transdermal patch is known as C111 patch.
- Gels and creams: this might sound awkward but is true. Some gels and creams are applied by patients to the arms or shoulder. These creams contain testosterone and they penetrate into the bloodstream through the skin.
- Injection: testosterone is injected into a muscle. This is to be administered by a health expert and is done every 2 to 4 weeks. This injection costs between $150 and $400 dollars per month and are associated with some side effects like sleep apnea, swelling, acne, etc.
- Subcutaneous implant: in this method, a small pallet, not more than the size of a grain of rice is implanted under the skin usually at the lower abdominal region from where it discharges testosterone to the body via the bloodstream. This pallet is changed and re-implanted every four to five months and has some disadvantages of possible explosion of the pallet, itching and increased sensitivity, etc.
- Natural way of treating low testosterone: there are a number of natural ways that can be used to boost testosterone level in the body. Some of them include;
- Diets: foods that are high in vitamin D are known to help increase testosterone level. Vitamin D is a steroid hormone that is essential for healthy development of sperm cells and increase sperm count. Avoidance or limiting the amount of sugar in your diet will also help as sugar decreases testosterone level because it leads to high insulin level. Egg yolks, tuna, low fat milks, beef, oysters and beans are also helpful in raising testosterone level. It is also necessary to eat them with caution as too much intake could lead to other health problems.
- Use of supplements: some supplements are also available that help increase testosterone level. It is also good to read more about a supplement before taking them so as to be on a safe side.
- Exercise: exercises that stimulate the muscles can help increase testosterone level.